Public Marriage License Requirements
A Marriage License must be purchased prior to your ceremony.
Application for license to marry
Applicants must be 18 years and older
* Both parties must be present
* Documentation required:
o Valid photo ID, such as a driver’s license, is required to verify age and identity.
o If either party was previously married, or had a registered domestic partnership with someone other than the other party, a certified copy of the final dissolution papers is required if the dissolution was granted within last 90 days, otherwise the date of the dissolution is sufficient.
* As of January 1, 1995, blood tests are no longer required .
* Fee can be found on the Fee Schedule
* Licenses are issued in both offices and no appointment is necessary.
* In the Atascadero office, both parties must be present by 3:30 P.M. and in San Luis Obispo both parties must be present in the office by 4:30 P.M.
* It takes about 30 minutes for the license to be issued. The license can be used immediately, and is valid for 90 days from the date issued and the ceremony can take place anywhere in the State of California.
Applicants under the age of 18:
If either party is under 18, you must contact the Clerk of Superior Court at 781-5243 prior to coming to this office.
After the license is issued, you may be married by a priest, rabbi, minister or other authorized person of your choice. You must be married within 90 days of the date the license was issued and you may be married anywhere in the state of California.
Confidential Marriage License
Confidential marriages licenses are available in place of a public marriage license. The cost of a confidential marriage license can be found on the Fee Schedule Below. The requirements for having a license issued are the same as those required for a public marriage license with the additional requirement that the parties are stating that they have been living together (Family Code Sect. 500). As with a public marriage license, it is valid for 90 days from the date it is issued.
f you wish a confidential marriage license it is important to remember the following information:
- The confidential marriage license can only be used in the County where it is issued.
- Only the parties can obtain certified copies of the recorded license by either appearing in person or by completing a request for the record and having their signature notarized; the cost for copies can be found on the Fee Schedule Below.
Civil Marriage Ceremonies
If you prefer a civil wedding ceremony, you may be married at our office. Ceremonies are performed in one of our conference rooms by a deputy commissioner of civil marriage. Our deputy commissioners are volunteers so we require appointments to ensure a deputy is available to perform the ceremony.
The ceremonies are performed Thursday and Friday from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM and Wednesday (Reserved for Spanish Weddings) from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM in San Luis Obispo.
Contact the Atascadero office directly for appointment times.
The fee for the ceremony can be found on the Fee Schedule Below.
You need to bring at least one witness with you and you are limited to a total 5 guests in our Atascadero office and 10 guests, including the couple, in San Luis Obispo.
If you are unable to bring in a witness, one will be provided for you. The fee for a witness can be found on the Fee Schedule Below.
Deputy Commissioner for a Day
The person requesting to become a Deputy Commissioner, prior to being issued the oath, must present a letter that includes the following information:
Full Name, address, and phone number.
Full names of both parties to the marriage.
Date of marriage ceremony
Marriage ceremony fee can be found on the Fee Schedule Below.
Once this information has been obtained, the Clerk will prepare the Oath for a Deputy Commissioner. The oath must show that this person is being sworn soley for the purpose of performing ONE ceremony. If they are performing more than one, They will need to provide a letter with the above information and a separate oath will need to be given.
Once the oath is completed (in duplicate) the original, and the letter, will remain on file in our office. A copy will be given to the person taking the oath.
1. PUBLIC MARRIAGE LICENSE (26840.3 & 26840.7 Gov) 95.00
2. CONFIDENTIAL MARRIAGE LICENSE (26840.1 & 26840.3 & 26840.8 Gov) 95.00
3. DUPLICATE MARRIAGE LICENSE (4203, 4213(h) Civil Code) 25.00
4. MARRIAGE SOLEMNIZATION (26861 Gov) (in office) Or Deputy Commissioner of Civil Marriages (one time) 40.00
5. WITNESS FEE 20.00